Wednesday 24 March 2021

Occupational Template: Fighter

Occupational Template: Fighter

A long time ago, I was asked to write up some occupational templates for D&D classes. I know that there's DF templates, but my games usually are not as dungeon-y, so there's a place for social traits and skills. Also, I'm not using the vanilla magic system (and I'm not using templates either).
At last, I decided to write one up, starting from what seems to be the most simple - the fighter. I used the knight templates from GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers as a base, adjusted some traits, added more options and skills, etc. And, most importantly, brought down the point value from 250 to 150, because that's closer to the starting points for my games. Making templates is difficult. I'll probably try writing up a spellcaster next to see just how difficult it is.
To be honest, such templates are probably useless for people, I do not know how many I will write up.

FIGHTER

150 points

Attributes: ST 14 [40]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 12 [20].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d/2d; BL 39 lbs.; HP 14 [0]; Will 10 [0]; Per 10 [0]; FP 12 [0]; Basic Speed 6 [0]; Basic Move 6 [0].

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]. • Another 35 points chosen from among ST +1 to +3 [10/level], DX +1 [20], IQ +1 [20], HT +1 to +3 [10/level], Will +1 to +3 [5/level], Per +1 to +2 [5/level], HP +1 to +4 [2/level], Basic Speed +0.25 to +1.75 [5/level], Alcohol Tolerance [1], Ambidexterity [5], Born Sailor 1 [5], Born Soldier 1-3 [5/level], Born Tactician 1-2 [10/level], Born War-Leader 1-2 [5/level], Danger Sense [15], Enhanced Block 1 [5], Enhanced Parry 1 (One Melee Weapon skill) [5], Fearlessness [2/level], Fit [5] or Very Fit [15], Hard to Kill [2/level], Hard to Subdue [2/level], High Pain Threshold [10], Luck [15] or Extraordinary Luck [30], Military Rank 1-3 [5/level], Rapid Healing [5], Recovery [10], Seafarer 1 [10], Striking ST 1 or 2 [5 or 10], Wealth (Comfortable) [10], Weapon Bond [1].

Disadvantages: -30 points chosen from among Bad Temper [-10*], Bloodlust [-10*], Bully [-10*], Callous [-5], Code of Honor (Pirate’s, Soldier’s, or Chivalry) [-5, -10, or -15], Duty [Varies], Fanaticism [-15], Obsession (Slay some specific type of monster) [-5*], One Eye [-15], Negative Reputation [Varies], Sadism [-15*], Sense of Duty (Nation) [-10], Vow (Never refuse a challenge to combat) [-10], Wealth (Struggling) [-10] or Wounded [-5]. • Another -20 points chosen from among those traits or Bully [-10*], Compulsive Carousing [-5*], Easy to Read [-10], Greed [-15*], Hidebound [-5], Honesty [-10*], Impulsiveness [-10*], Lecherousness [-15*], Overconfidence [-5*], or Sense of Duty (Adventuring companions) [-5].

Primary Skills: Fast-Draw (any) (E) DX+1 [1]-14†; Knife (E) DX [1]-12. • Two of Brawling (E) DX+1 [2]-13, Boxing (A) DX [2]-12, Sumo Wrestling (A) DX [2]-12, or Wrestling (A) DX [2]-12. • One of Crossbow or Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace or Spear), all (E) DX+2 [4]-14; Bow, Spear Thrower, or Throwing, all (A) DX+1 [4]-13; or Sling (H) DX [4]-12. • One of these four sets of options:

1.       Shield (E) DX+4 [12]-16. • One of Axe/Mace, Broadsword, Shortsword, Spear, all (A) DX+4 [16]-16; or Flail (H) DX+3 [16]-15.

2.       Shield (E) DX+4 [12]-16. • Two of Axe/Mace, Broadsword, Shortsword, Spear, all (A) DX+2 [8]-14; or Flail (H) DX+1 [8]-13.

3.       Shield (E) DX+2 [4]-14. • Three of Axe/Mace, Broadsword, Shortsword, Spear, all (A) DX+2 [8]-14; or Flail (H) DX+1 [8]-13.

4.       One of Polearm, Spear, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, Two-Handed Sword all (A) DX+4 [16]-16; or Two-Handed Flail (H) DX+3 [16]-15. • One of Axe/Mace, Broadsword, Shortsword, all (A) DX+3 [12]-15; or Flail (H) DX+2 [12]-14.

Secondary Skills: Four of Armoury (Body Armor or Melee Weapons) (A) IQ [2]-10, Climbing (A) DX [2]-12, Connoisseur (Weapons) (A) IQ [2]-10, Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2]-9, Expert Skill (Hoplology) (H) IQ-1 [2]-9, First Aid (E) IQ+1 [2]-11, Forced Entry (E) DX+1 [2]-13, Hiking (A) HT [2]-12, Intimidation (A) Will [2]-10, Jumping (E) DX+1 [2]-13, Law (Criminal) (H) IQ-1 [2]-9, Leadership (A) IQ [2]-10, Observation (A) Per [2]-10, Running (A) HT [2]-12, Soldier (A) IQ [2]-10, Strategy (Land) (H) IQ-1 [2]-9, Swimming (E) HT+1 [2]-13, Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-9.

Background Skills: Four of Area Knowledge (Any) (E) IQ [1]-10, Carousing (E) HT [1]-12, Expert Skill (Military Science) (H) IQ-2 [1]-8, Fast-Talk (A) IQ-1 [1]-9, Fishing (E) Per [1]-10, Gesture (E) IQ [1]-10, Heraldry (A) IQ-1 [1]-9, Naturalist (H) IQ-2 [1]-8, Navigation (Land) (A) IQ-1 [1]-9, Occultism (A) IQ-1 [1]-9, Savoir-Faire (Military) (E) IQ [1]-10, Stage Combat (A) DX-1 [1]-11, Streetwise (A) IQ-1 [1]-9, Teaching (A) IQ-1 [1]-9.

* Multiplied for self-control number; see p. B120.

† Includes +1 for Combat Reflexes.



9 comments:

  1. "To be honest, such templates are probably useless for people, I do not know how many I will write up."

    I find them useful to compare with my own templates and analyze the reasoning behind my decisions and other people decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I see. I'm glad that at least somebody might find them useful then.

      Delete
  2. 150 point templates can work better for non DF games even at 250 points, because it provides someone a baseline to then customize and improve, or to combine with some of the weirder races out there, which can be pretty costly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might have been me that talked to you about it a long time ago.

    I can see this being useful for my players, I definitely hand out templates as starting points.

    More useful for ones that are less closer to the dfrpg templates admittedly, but useful regardless.

    That said, the main thing I was talking about (if indeed I ever did talk to you about it) is building the various interesting d&d / Pathfinder class features as powers, like whatwhat did with the eidolon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was probably you, because my notes say "build D&D/PF/iconic FR archetypes class features as powers and/or templates". Sorry for more than a year-long wait!
      I have already built a lot of D&D/PF class features as powers (you can find them in the new powers index), and I am planning to continue this series of posts, usually taking a random class/archetype/prestige class and adapting it to GURPS.

      Delete
    2. Hey, I appreciate that you've been covering it, even if you didn't get to class templates specifically until now. I check up on your blog every week or so. You never cease to amaze me with just how much content you churn out.

      I've a few of the class feature powers you've done and enjoyed them. I'll have to look at the index and read the rest of them.

      I can always use more templates / lenses too, though, and ~150 point templates are reasonably close to the "Henchmen" templates, too, which can be good for increased customization in a higher point total game, as well as for use on actual henchmen, especially with class features as powers. I look forward to seeing your eventual take on the Pathfinder Witch, which doesn't have a good analogue that I'm aware of in GURPS (or other versions of D&D for that matter).


      I'd like to mention that I appreciate the steadily growing bestiary. At this point you must be starting to run low on unfinished monsters. I'm sure you have a list of ones left to do somewhere. Looks (to me) like most of what you're still missing is the setting specific creatures that show up in setting books rather than regular monster manuals or that only show up converted to 3e in the Bestiary of the Realms 1 & 2. Stuff like Thayan Neo-Orogs, Shades, Shadovar, Wemics, Dragonkin, Guardgoyles, Baelnorn, Rothe, Tressym, Laraken, etc (FR is my thing, I don't really know the Dragonlance / Dark Sun / Ravenloft specific critters).

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I really appreciate that!
      As for the bestiary, I'm nowhere even near the halfway point. There's 6 major bestiary books in 3.0/3.5 - five Monster Manuals and Fiend Folio. So far I've only converted the first one, some small bestiaries from other books, and started working on MMII. Monsters of Faerun is planned as well, as it contains some of my favorite monsters, and the book itself is relatively small.

      Delete
    4. FYI, there are a lot of monsters that show up in non-monster books too. FRCS has some Waterdeep has some, etc. A lot of my favorite monsters aren't in the actual bestiary books for whatever reason. I got rid of my MM2/3/4 and some others over the years when I've had to move, but kept the setting books and Monsters of Faerun. And then there are the two fan-bestiaries that weren't published by wotc (they're on the Candlekeep Forums download section) but were written by D&D authors Eric L Boyd and Thomas M Costa, that just write up FR monsters that showed up in 1/2e FR sources and / or the novels which for whatever reason never got a proper 3e writeup.

      Delete
    5. I know, I have the entire 3.0 and 3.5 library, and access to ENWorld's Creature Catalog. So, we'll get there eventually.

      Delete