Monday 28 March 2022

What rules I would like to try out

What rules I would like to try out

As you probably know, GURPS has a vast number of various optional rules and sub-systems. Some of them seem interesting or even fascinating, but you might not ever see them in play. Maybe that's because they would slow down the game too much, or you can't be bothered to memorize an entire new ruleset, or maybe because you like these rules but your players do not.

1. Chases
GURPS Action 2: Exploits has a nice ruleset for cinematic chases. It was expanded in Pyramid #3-23 and Pyramid #3-112. I'm not sure if I should include this in this post, because I've actually tried them out. But every time I've used them in a game (both as a player and as a GM), it did not run very well. I feel that it's mostly because the players and the GM were not intimately familiar with the rules, and we basically had to learn the rules in play, and the situations in question did not facilitate an engaging chase. Basically, it was just a contest of Running. Despite that, I'd like to give them a proper try someday. I also feel that you can modify this framework to make other similar sub-systems. For example, Mailanka made a vehicular combat based on the Chase framework. I'd like to try that one out too.

2. Vehicular Combat
Speaking of vehicular combat, I do not really remember it coming up in my games as anything more than "Okay, roll Gunner, and if you succeed you hit." I'd like to someday play a game with proper vehicular fights, be they on the ground, on air, or in space, simply using the rules provided in GURPS Basic Set.

3. Mounted Combat
Despite having recorded a detailed podcast episode on mounted combat, I have had zero experience with it. Absolutely none of it. But to fix it, I'd probably have to get my players interested in mounted combat.

4. Technical Grappling
Aside from a couple of test combats using this system, I've no experience with it. On paper, it looks very good. It seems complicated, but the tests showed me that it's not that complicated. I know that Fantastic Dungeon Grappling exists and that it's pretty good (again, based on test combats), but the fact that it basically invalidates a large part of the technique chapter of GURPS Martial Arts disappoints me. Pyramid #3-83 also has an interesting possession system based on the same framework.

5. Realm Magic
Realm magic is probably one of the least well-known and supported magic systems out there (except for Wildcard Powers which is even less known). After being introduced in GURPS Thaumatology, it received zero additional support aside from the Path Realms in Pyramid #3-66 that combines it with RPM. I have my own issues with flexible magic, but I still find realm magic fascinating. However, I have no idea how it would be in an actual game. I have rarely even seen people talk about it.

6. Alternate Attributes
Oh boy. GURPS Power-Ups 9: Alternate Attributes is an amazing book that I probably will never use. I was very excited after I read the book for the first time, and I proposed the following to my players:
1. Independent Will. Decoupled from IQ, costs 10/level (Will is quite important in fantasy games and the book says that it's sort of underpriced for them at 5/level).
2. Independent Perception. Decoupled from IQ, costs 10/level (the extra 5 points come from its influence on Basic Speed, see below).
3. Independent FP. The book says that it's a good idea in general.
4. IQ remains at 20/level.
5. Independent Basic Move (starts at 5). The book also says that it's a good idea.
6. Basic Speed = (DX + Per)/4. The book says that this might be the best option. Makes Per more expensive, but HT cheaper.
7. HT costs 7/level. The book says that a fair price for HT is 12-14 points. -3 for decoupling FP, -5 for not affecting Basic Speed, and an arbitrary +1.

I also thought about making Charisma an attribute and perhaps introducing Quintessence and/or split IQ and/or DX. Needless to say, I got shot down so hard that now I'm afraid of suggesting any houserules. And I might've miscalculated some of the adjusted costs and their influence on each other.

7. Realistic Injury
Described on page 136 of GURPS Martial Arts, these rule make effects of injury on various hit locations more granular, not just "crippled" and "not crippled". We do use the rest of the rules from this chapter, such as new hit locations and additional effects on existing ones, but we've never used these granular injury rules. I feel that if I suggest them to my players, I'll get virtually punched in the gut.

8. Ten Tweaks to Customize Combat
This article from Pyramid #3-34 has some very interesting rules. I'd love to try out Duck!, He Who Hesitates, and Grazes.

3 comments:

  1. I use the mounted combat rules from Dungeon Fantasy: Wilderness Adventures in my campaign since the players are generally mounted when exploring outdoors. It works out well. We also use Duck! and Do Or Die Bullet Dodging. We use Do Or Die for all ranged attacks instead of just gunfire. Duck! is helpful because many characters have the Targeted Attack technique from their martial arts styles so it helps fights from becoming an eye stab/decapitation gest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to use The Last Gasp (with some changes because the very idea of tracking at least four* different kinds of FP gives me hives, so I've come up with a way to combine the idea with Long Term Fatigue from After the End 2; basically, letting FP fall to certain levels gives LFP) since I saw the article, and I'd for sure want to combine it with Realistic Injury (and the expansion of that in Pyramid 3/100). To do that, I'd want a group that is not only experienced with the GURPS combat system, but also has some tactical smarts. It's been a while since I've played with those sorts of players. And yeah, Technical Grappling as it is in the original supplement, with the change that odd CP affect DX and even CP affect ST (sort of taken from "Coming to Grips with Realism" in 3/61) along with other stuff from that article like the Grappling Crit Tables.

    I've pretty much decided that most of Kromm's suggestions in his "Ten for Ten" article are rules I will use going forward.


    *Mild, Severe, and Deep Fatigue and Action Points, plus the new FP recovery rules aren't balanced for pretty much anything else in GURPS, from hiking to spellcasting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Realm magic reminds me of the magic system from Dominions PC game. I wonder if that could be adapted.
    I’ve had fun using Conditional Injury from Alternate GURPS V (I think).

    ReplyDelete