Friday 16 July 2021

How to learn GURPS?

How to learn GURPS?

I've seen a lot of people asking "how does one learn GURPS?". I've also seen claims that GURPS is practically impossible to learn by yourself, you need to be taught by somebody who already knows the system. That's completely false.

A lot of people recommend disregarding the GURPS Basic Set and starting out with GURPS Lite when learning or teaching the system, and using templates for characters. In my opinion, this is simply wrong. By using GURPS Lite and/or templates, you're missing the thing that makes GURPS special - the infinite  potential for customization, for all genres, for all kinds of characters. If I started out with GURPS Lite and templates, I don't think I'd get interested in the system at all. How did I learn the system? I just read the book. And if you're new and want to know how to learn the system - I'm sorry, but I can only tell you to read the darn GURPS Basic Set. If you feel that something is not relevant to the game you want to play - just skip it. Easy as that. There is nothing difficult in learning the system.

2 comments:

  1. Although, it can be helpful to have someone walk you through the pitfalls... of which, GURPS can have a few;-) This video series can walk you through getting started in GURPS: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqckpAfDuMM8XEVuncbGtV5U_4GPcdkyK
    And then I suggest you come back here for the "good stuff". Enraged Eggplant's blogs, vlogs and podcasts are how I learned so much about GURPS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly support this notion. That video series is very good.

      Delete